Loading... Please wait...

Notre Dame Stadium (#110, dg-D20115)


Product Description


#110, dg-D20115

Notre Dame Fighting Irish (NCAA) (1930-present)

The stadium opened its gates in 1930, replacing the old stadium Cartier Field. Total cost of construction was more than $750,000. The original seating capacity was 54,000. Knute Rockne played a key role in its design, keeping the space between the playing field and the stands to a minimum. The stadium is patterned, on a smaller scale, after Michigan Stadium, the main difference being the tunnel location. The Irish played their first game in the new stadium on October 4, 1930, beating Southern Methodist University 20–14. The official dedication was on October 11 against Navy. Over the years, its capacity was gradually increased to 59,075. In 1997, 21,000 new seats were added to the stadium, bringing the seating capacity to the present 80,795. The playing surface has always been natural grass.

The stadium is known for its view of "Touchdown Jesus", a nickname given to the large mural by Millard Sheets of the resurrected Jesus entitled "The Word of Life", located on Hesburgh Library, which looms over the stadium mirroring the raised arms of a referee signifying a touchdown. The stadium expansion had the side effect of partially obscuring the view of Touchdown Jesus from the field.

Unused 4" x 6" continental size chrome postcard.

Dist. by David C. Berta

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

#110, dg-D20115
Calculated at checkout