Loading... Please wait...

Comiskey Park I & II (#1509)


Product Description



Uncommon view of the old Comiskey Park, with the new ballpark taking shape next door...

COMISKEY PARK:  Chicago White Sox (MLB) (1910-1990) Chicago Cubs (MLB) (1918 World Series) Chicago Cardinals (NFL) (1922-1925), (1929-1959) "Card-Pitt" (NFL) (1944) Chicago Bulls (AFL) (1926) Chicago American Giants (1941-1952) (Negro Leagues) Chicago Mustangs (NASL) (1968) Chicago Sting (NASL) (1980-1985)

The park was built on a former city dump that Comiskey bought in 1909 to replace the wooden South Side Park. It was originally built as White Sox Park, but within three years was renamed for White Sox founder and owner Charles Comiskey. The original name, White Sox Park, was restored in 1962, but it went back to the Comiskey Park name in 1976.

Comiskey Park was very modern for its time. It was the fourth concrete-and-steel stadium in the major leagues, and the third in the American League. As originally built, it sat almost 29,000, a record at the time. Briefly, it retained the nickname "The Baseball Palace of the World."

U.S.CELLULAR FIELD:  Chicago White Sox (MLB) (1991-present)

U.S. Cellular Field (formerly Comiskey Park) is a baseball ballpark in Chicago, Illinois. Owned by the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority, it is the home of the Chicago White Sox of the American League. The park opened for the 1991 season, after the White Sox had spent 81 years at old Comiskey Park. The new park, completed at a cost of $167 million, also opened with the Comiskey Park name, but became U.S. Cellular Field in 2003 after U.S. Cellular bought the naming rights at $68 million over 20 years. It hosted the MLB All-Star Game that same year. Many sportscasters and fans continue to use the name Comiskey Park. Prior to its demolition, the old Comiskey Park was the oldest in-use ballpark in Major League Baseball, a title now held by Fenway Park in Boston.

The stadium was the first new major sporting facility built in Chicago since Chicago Stadium in 1929. It was also the last one built before the wave of new "retro-classic" ballparks in the 1990s and '00s. However, a few design features from the old park were retained. Most notable is the "exploding scoreboard" which pays homage to the original installed by Bill Veeck at the old park in 1960. The original field dimensions and seating configuration were very similar to those of Royals Stadium (now Kauffman Stadium) in Kansas City--which ironically had been the last baseball-only park built in the majors, in 1973.

Unused 5" x 7" jumbo size chrome

Dist. by Bob Horsch Gallery Ltd.

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Calculated at checkout