Loading... Please wait...

Frank Clair Stadium (GRB-317)

$3.00

Product Description

FRANK CLAIR STADIUM at LANSDOWNE PARK

GRB-317

Ottawa Rough Riders (CFL) (1908-1996), Ottawa Renegades (CFL) (2002-2005), University of Ottawa Gee-Gees (CIS), Carleton University Ravens (CIS), Ottawa Junior Riders (QJFL) (1997-2006)

Frank Clair Stadium is a Canadian football stadium in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is located in Lansdowne Park, on the southern edge of The Glebe neighbourhood, where Bank Street crosses the Rideau Canal.

The stadium was the home of the Ottawa Rough Riders of the Canadian Football League from 1908 to 1996, when the team ceased operations. It was the home of the Ottawa Renegades from 2002 until 2005. A previous incarnation of the stadium served as the home venue of the Ottawa Giants minor-league baseball franchise.

The stadium is also home to University of Ottawa's Ottawa Gee-Gees, and prior to the disbanding of the Ravens football programme at Carleton University in 1998, was the site of the Panda Bowl, when these rivals played each other with rowdy fans hurling insults across both sides of the stadium. At the final Panda Bowl game in 1997, the year following the departure of the Riders from Ottawa, the game (forfeited) was marred by an accident when at least 25 students were injured when a section of railing collapsed.

The stadium has also been home to the Ottawa Junior Riders of the Quebec Junior Football League.

A grandstand was built on the north side of the playing field in 1908, as part of the Ottawa Exposition Grounds. It was demolished in the 1960s to build the current Civic Centre complex. The new north-side stands are located on the roof of the adjacent Ottawa Civic Centre hockey arena. A small grandstand was built in the 1920s on the south-side of the field, and it was replaced in 1960. A second deck for the south-side was added during the 1970s. As of 2008, prior to lower south-side demolition, the overall stadium had a 30,927 capacity for football. The lower section of the south-side stands, the section built in 1960, was demolished in July 2008. The upper section of the south-side stands still stands, although it is unused.

During the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, the stadium hosted four football (soccer) matches.

For many years, the stadium was known simply as Lansdowne Park, after the fairgrounds in which it was located. It was renamed in 1993 to honour Frank Clair, coach and general manager for the Ottawa Rough Riders during the 1960s and 1970s.

Unused 3 3/4" x 5 3/4" continental size chrome

Dist. by Gustavo Ramirez

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
GRB-317
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout