Loading... Please wait...

Mooers Field (gt 2007-01)


Product Description


Richmond, VA

Former home of the Richmond Colts.

The Richmond Colts were a minor league baseball team based in Richmond, Virginia that existed on-and-off from 1894 to 1953. They played in the Virginia League in 1894, and in another Virginia League in 1900, and another Virginia League from 1906–1914 and from 1918–1928. In 1932, they played in the Eastern League and from 1933 to 1953, they played in the Piedmont League.
They were affiliated with the Philadelphia Athletics from 1935 to 1936, and the New York Giants from 1937 to 1938, in 1940, and from 1944 to 1950. As was more common during that time period, the Colts occasionally played exhibition games against major league teams.
One of their home ballparks was Mooers Field, from the early 1940s until 1953, named after Eddie Mooers, who purchased the team in 1931. Prior to Mooers Field, the team played at Tate Field on Mayo Island in the James River, but that facility was destroyed in a fire in May 1941.
When Richmond obtained a Class AAA franchise in 1954, Mooers moved the Colts to Colonial Heights' Shepherd Stadium. Harry Seibold purchased the team and renamed it the Virginians. Mooers Field was turned into a racing track, and then torn down in 1958.
Unused 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" standard size postcard from a real photograph, credit Richmond Newspaper, 1946.
Limited edition published by George Tinker

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

gt 2007-01
Calculated at checkout