Loading... Please wait...

Stadion Slaski (WSPE-340)

$3.50

Product Description

STADION SLASKI

Chorzow, Poland

WSPE-340

Silesian Stadium also known as the National Stadium is a sport stadium located between Chorzów and Katowice, Silesia, Poland. It opened on 22 July 1956 and has since hosted crowds of over 120,000 for both football matches and motorcycle speedway world championships. It also hosts music festivals.

In 1959 the decision was made to build the Silesia Stadium in 1950 and Julian Brzuchowski was chosen as its designer. Silesia Stadium was completed in 1956, together with the 10th Anniversary Stadium in Warsaw. On 22 July 1956, it hosted its first event - a friendly game with the East Germany national football team (2:0 for the Germans). Electric lighting was installed in 1959.

Initially designed to hold 87,000 people, it was often filled by crowds ranging between 90,000 and 100,000. On 18 September 1963, it held a record number of spectators (120,000) during a European Cup match between Górnik Zabrze and FK Austria Wien. However, the enforcement of international security standards forced the stadium's authorities to reduce its number of seats.

In 1993, the stadium was designated as the official home stadium of the Polish national football team. In the 1990s, the stadium was converted to an all-seater stadium, reducing the capacity to 47,246. Currently, there are plans to expand its capacity to 55,211 and to construct a roof over the stadium (claimed to become the largest in the world, 43,000 m2).

Unused 4" x 6" continental size chrome.

World Stadiums Postcard Edition

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
WSPE-340
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout