Loading... Please wait...

Sick's Stadium (C25770)

$15.00

Product Description

SICK'S STADIUM

C25770

Seattle Rainiers (later Seattle Angels) (PCL) (1938-1968) Seattle Steelheads (Negro Leagues) (1946) Seattle Pilots (MLB) (1969) Seattle Rainiers (NWL) (1972-1976)

Sick's Stadium, also known as Sick's Seattle Stadium and later as Sicks' Stadium, was a baseball stadium located in Seattle, Washington's Rainier Valley at the corner of S. McClellan Street and Rainier Avenue S. The site was previously the location of Dugdale Park, a 1913 ballpark that was the home of the minor league Seattle Indians. That park burned down in an Independence Day arson fire in 1932, and until a new stadium could be built on the Dugdale site, the team played at Civic Field, a converted football stadium at the current location of Seattle Center's Memorial Stadium.

Sick's Stadium first opened on June 15, 1938 as the home field of the Pacific Coast League's Seattle Rainiers (the renamed Seattle Indians). The Rainiers played at the Stadium through 1964, after which they were renamed the Seattle Angels, but continued to play at Sick's through 1968. In 1946, the stadium was briefly the home of the Seattle Steelheads of the short-lived West Coast Baseball Association Negro League, who played at the stadium while the Rainiers were on the road.

On April 11, 1969, Major League Baseball came to Seattle with the American League expansion Seattle Pilots debuting at Sick's Stadium. Seattle had been mentioned several times as a prospective major league city. The Cleveland Indians almost moved there in the early 1960s, but owner William Daley decided against it because he did not think that Sick's Stadium was suitable for a major league team. Charlie Finley considered moving the Kansas City Athletics to Seattle in 1967, but when he visited Seattle he quipped that the stadium was aptly named. He advised Seattle officials to get a new stadium if it wanted a major league team.

It soon became obvious why Daley (who bought a stake in the Pilots) and Finley were wary about Sick's. A condition of the American League's agreement to grant Seattle a team was to expand Sick's Stadium to 30,000 seats by the start of the 1969 season. However, due to cost overruns, poor weather and other delays, only 17,000 seats were ready by opening day. The scoreboard wasn't even finished until the eve of opening day. The stadium expanded to 25,000 seats by June. However, many of those seats had obstructed views. The clubhouse facilities were second-class. Also, no upgrades were made to the stadium's piping, resulting in almost nonexistent water pressure after the seventh inning, especially when crowds exceeded 10,000. This forced players to shower in their hotel rooms or at home after the game. The visiting team's announcers couldn't see any plays along third base or left field. The Pilots had to place a mirror in the press box, and the visiting announcers had to look into it and "refract" plays in those areas.

Under the circumstances, only 678,000 fans came to see the Pilots--a major reason why the team was forced into bankruptcy after only one season. The team moved to Milwaukee for the 1970 season and became the Milwaukee Brewers.

Unused 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" standard size chrome

Dist. by C.P. Johnston

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
C25770
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout