Loading... Please wait...

Miami Field (43003)

$20.00

Product Description

MIAMI FIELD

43003

Miami (Ohio) Redskins (Mid American Conference) 1896-1983

Miami Field was a multi-purpose stadium in Oxford, Ohio. It opened in 1896 as Athletic Park. It was home to the Miami University Redskins college football team prior to the Yager Stadium opening in 1983.

The stadium originally had a capacity of 7,240 in 1928. When it closed in 1982 capacity was 14,800 people. At that time, it was the second oldest college football stadium after Franklin Field.

In the final configuration, the stands were all metal, and were all built above ground level. The playing field was oriented north-south. N. Patterson Ave. runs parallel to and behind where the visitor side stands were located on the eastern side of the stadium. The intersection of High St. (US 27) and Patterson Ave. was at the south east corner of the stadium location, with High St. being perpendicular to the playing field.

When Yager Stadium was constructed, the old Miami Field home side stands were used to construct the Yager Stadium visitor side stands. Also, the old Miami Field visitor side stands were divided in two, and were erected in each endzone of Yager Stadium as the endzone seats. These remained as a part of Yager Stadium until replaced in the early 2000s when Yager was renovated.

Almost immediately upon Miami Field being razed, new campus buildings were constructed on the site. A viewing of the site today would surprise many that Miami played their football games there for so many years.

Unused 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" standard size chrome postcard.

Dist. by Miami University YMCA

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
43003
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout