Loading... Please wait...

Borchert Field (673-873)

$15.00

Product Description

BORCHERT FIELD

673-873

Milwaukee Creams (Western League) (1888-1894), Milwaukee Brewers (American Association) (1891), Milwaukee Brewers (American Association) (1902-1952), Milwaukee Badgers (NFL) (1922-1926), Milwaukee Bears (Negro National League) (1923), Milwaukee Chicks (AAGPL) (1944), Green Bay Packers (NFL) (1933)

Borchert Field was a baseball park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was the home field for several professional baseball clubs for most of the years from 1888 through 1952.

The park was built on a rectangular block bounded by North 7th and 8th Streets, and Chambers and Burleigh Streets in Milwaukee. Home plate was positioned at one end with the outfield bounded by the outer fence, making fair territory itself home-plate shaped. This was a design used by a number of ballparks in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when they were confined to a block that was too narrow to allow the foul lines to parallel the streets. The best known example of this design probably would be the Polo Grounds in New York City.

Borchert Field was too small to accommodate Major League Baseball. Milwaukee's city fathers, looking to attract a Major League franchise (the majors had flirted with a return to Milwaukee since Veeck had attempted to move the St. Louis Browns back to Milwaukee), built Milwaukee County Stadium to replace Borchert Field. It was intended that the Brewers would play in County Stadium in the 1953 season, but early that year the Boston Braves relocated to Milwaukee, so the final season of baseball at Borchert Field also turned out to be the last season of Brewers minor league baseball.

Unused 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" standard size chrome postcard.

Dist. by George Tinker

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
673-873
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout