Loading... Please wait...

Al Lopez Field (TAL-20)

$5.00

Product Description

AL LOPEZ FIELD

TAL-20

Chicago White Sox (MLB) (spring training) (1955-1959) Tampa Tarpons (FSL) (1957-1988) Cincinnati Reds (MLB) (spring training) (1960-1987)

Al Lopez Field was a spring training and minor league baseball park in Tampa, Florida. It was named for Tampa native and Baseball Hall of Famer Al Lopez. It was dedicated to Lopez in 1954 and was the spring home of the Chicago White Sox and also the Cincinnati Reds. Lopez was the Sox manager at the time. The Sox moved elsewhere a few years later, but the Reds stayed for three decades.

The grandstand featured a high, curved roof with no obstructing columns, a design similar to but a little less dramatic than that of Miami Stadium.

In 1967, Tampa Stadium (later renamed Houlihan's Stadium) was built to the north of it. That stadium became the first home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1976.

After the spring session of 1987, the Reds abandoned the park for newer facilities in Plant City, Florida. While the Tampa Tarpons reached an affiliation agreement with the Chicago White Sox for the 1988 season, revenue from leasing the ballpark to the Tarpons did not cover expenses and the Tampa Sports Authority would not agree to a lease longer than one-year. This would also allow the TSA to move forward on redevelopment plans for the location. Demolition on the ballpark began in March 1989 and was completed that May.

Used (1962) 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" standard size chrome

Dist. by Tichnor Bros.

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
TAL-20
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout