Loading... Please wait...

Al Lang Field (SPL-17, K-2608)

$10.00 $5.00
(You save $5.00)

Product Description

AL LANG FIELD

SPL-17, K-2608

New York Yankees (spring training) (1947-1950,1952-1961) New York Giants (spring training) (1951) St. Louis Cardinals (spring training) (1947-1997) New York Mets (spring training) (1962-1987) St. Petersburg Pelicans (SPBA) (1989-1990) Baltimore Orioles (spring training) (1991-1995) St. Petersburg Saints (FSL) (1955-1965) St. Petersburg Saints (FIL) (1947-1954) St. Petersburg Cardinals (FSL) (1965-1997) St. Petersburg Devil Rays (FSL) (1998-2000) Tampa Bay Devil Rays/Rays (spring training) (1998-2008)

Progress Energy Park (full name Progress Energy Park, home of Al Lang Field) is a 7,227 seat baseball stadium located on the downtown St. Petersburg, Florida waterfront.

The "St. Petersburg Athletic Park" at the current site of Progress Energy Park was the spring home for the Boston Braves and New York Yankees from 1923 until after World War II, hosting such baseball greats such as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial, and others during that time. The first incarnation of the current field was built for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1947. The Cardinals beat the New York Yankees in the dedication game on March 13, 1947. There was a major rebuild in 1976 brought the ballpark to its current configuration. A succession of teams used the facility until the expansion Tampa Bay Devil Rays started play in 1998 and moved into the stadium for their spring games. The Rays were the first major league team to train in the same city in which they played regular season games in almost 90 years - their summer home of Tropicana Field is just over a mile to the west across downtown St. Petersburg.

When the Rays began play in Al Lang Stadium in 1998, the naming rights to the park were purchased by local utility Florida Power for $150,000 per year, rechristening the site as "Florida Power Park at Al Lang Field." When Florida Power's name was changed to Progress Energy in 2003, the stadium's official name was also changed.

Progress Energy Park was home to many minor league baseball teams over the years, most recently the Class-A Florida State League affiliates for the St. Louis Cardinals and then the Tampa Bay Rays. The last minor league tenant was the St. Petersburg Devil Rays, who last played at the stadium in 2000.

In 2005, the Tampa Bay Rays announced plans to move their spring training home to Port Charlotte, a town about 90 minutes south of St. Petersburg. Then, on November 9, 2007, Rays President Matt Silverman proposed a plan to build a new $450 million Rays Ballpark on the site to be ready in 2012.

Used (1957) 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" standard size chrome

Dist. by Tichnor Bros.

Product Reviews

Write Review

This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!

Quantity:
SKU:
SPL-17, K-2608
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout